Saturday, September 29, 2007

university physicians & health care: a total nightmare

University Physicians and Health Care are the worst sort of bullies out there, trying to hassle needless amounts of money from their patients. Maybe that is because their patients tend to be university students, and maybe they think they can more easily sucker money out of them.

Let's go over what has happened to me. Over the summer, unable to diagnose something as simple as a UTI, the physicians sent me to get an ultrasound in addition to taking four urine samples from me over the summer. In case you are wondering, you get two separate bills, one for University Physicians so you have to pay your doctors, and the second one means you have to pay for the equipment doctors decided to use.

The first bills sent to me did not have my insurance listed. When they listed my insurance, they did not list what had been covered - probably because they hadn't sent anything to my insurance, THEN when they finally send something to me showing me that they have finally sent these bills to the insurance and that my insurance has covered X amount, the university starts sending me 'Payment overdue' notices. That's funny, isn't it? They don't send me the right bill and when they manage to get it down, the lateness (a whole TWO months) is my fault.

In addition to this, one hundred dollars of the $270.70 for my Physicians bill has already been paid by check. What I love about checks is that the bank will tell you when it was deposited and will send you a copy of said check. I can wave that copy in their face, because they have sent bill collectors - that's right, bill collectors - after me for the amount of (drum roll) $270.70. Wait. What happened to that $100 that was sent in? Yeah, they didn't tell the bill collectors that half of it was paid already.

What's better is that for the University Health Care bill, the bill states $465 and does not list insurance. STILL does not list insurance, meaning they haven't sent me the correct bill for that payment to this day. They have, however, sent bill collectors again. I even called the customer service, which is probably some of the worst customer service ever next to maybe Dell's. The guy consistently interrupted me when I was trying to tell him that said bill did not have my insurance listed. You'd think that that little tidbit of information might be relevant.

So, for the record, make sure to keep copies of your hospital bills. Make plenty of copies and maybe send those copies with a nasty letter right back to them. They say that insurance companies are awful, but this is horrible. I love that they are treating me like I am in debt and running from my bills.

-Monique

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home