Sunday, August 20, 2006

from a to z (and back again)

Foods & Weight

In the last couple weeks of July, I'd lost about five pounds, and within these few weeks I have lost another five pounds. I am sure I sound like someone who is trying to lose unnecessary weight, but within my last failed relationship I gained a lot of weight and quickly. I wasn't living a healthy lifestyle - my eating choices were poor and I never exercised. It's true that everyone should have the right to choose whether or not they want to be healthy, and if people want to be unhealthy, it is a choice they make for their body. I chose something else and I wanted to reawaken my old & fantastic metabolism. I didn't want to eliminate breads and pastas from my diets because I didn't want to change my diet in a way that was torture for me - not only that, I don't eat red meats or pork, and I would be missing out on a lot if I threw breads out.

I switched to whole wheats and organic foods. It's always a bit difficult if you get a sandwich at a restaurant, because most of those have enriched wheats and sometimes you have to make realistic allowances, particularly when you've got a budget, but for the most part, I've maintained this diet change throughout the summer and I am happier for it because I am not starving myself in the least. In fact, I am eating three meals a day and sometimes snacking, and I am not working out until I am over-exhausted and my limbs are breaking off, I am focusing on areas I would like to tone.

I get all my organic foods at Hy-Vee because I think they have a fantastic section. I understand that shopping at places like Hy-Vee and getting organic foods can seem a bit pricier, but I think that quality always costs more. Also, some places that claim to have 'low low' prices do not have store-brands that are that much lower than the store-brands of other markets. Additionally, there are some big box companies in this city whose businesses are known for lowering property value - so even if you aren't paying much in store, you're going to pay a whole lot more later. I also like buying free range meats. I wasn't always like this, but when I started grocery shopping elsewhere and noticed that I had the option, I chose it. Inititally I started going to Hy-Vee because they have one of my favourite snacks, "Fruity Booty" and "Pirate Booty." The liquor section is also nicer than most of the places I've seen here - though Arena Liquor has my favourite beer (I never even drink anymore!)

At any rate - for college students and residents, I definitely recommend spending the few extra dollars on higher quality food. Even if you don't care about organic food, I certainly recommend visiting a few different grocery stores to see what they have to offer, because not all grocery stores are the same.

Friends

Since Scott has been working nearby & moved to a building across the street from Paul's apartment complext, we have been hanging out and talking every day. I think what is especially nice about it is that we have a short history, and though I usually say I have so many male friends, it's a nice change of pace to have a friend who isn't a hardcore gamer.

The other night (this means I can't remember if it happened this week or last) we went to a barbeque he held over at his new place. It is a few stories up on an old wooden staircase that overlooks the parking lot and the deck is a bit small - not surprising for housing that is taken up by college students. I get a major case of vertigo whenever I look over the edge and so the whole night I tried to avoid looking down. I recalled, as I walked up those stairs, a time in my life when I had been walking up to an old water tower that had been transformed into a bedroom by my uncle and aunt who live on a ranch in mid-California. Dogs had been circling my legs excitedly and it caused me to lose my balance on the steps and fall down each stair until I was stopped by a brick patio. Not a fun time and I was hoping I wouldn't relive the experience or worse, fall off the deck and die. I'm a bit dramatic, I know this.

They made a variety of kabobs with shrimp, eggplant, onions, etc. I was surprised that I enjoyed the eggplant so much - I don't know that I ever had any opinion on eggplant but it never seemed too appealing, though eggplants are pretty. For some reason I always picture a character from Fraggle Rock driving an eggplant shaped automobile - were those toys at McDonalds? I know there was a beet one.

We sat in the living room listening to music and it occurred to me that I was temporarily wedged in some picture of the indie scene. It was very scenester-esque (I didn't know how else to describe it) which is different for me because I am the sort who rarely goes out and socializes. Sitting around in a room and listening to music is, for me, preferred to going to clubs. I just don't have the desire to get groped by skeevy people and for some reason I am the skeevy person magnet.

When the room began emptying out, I remained with one of Scott's friends and his two roommates - all girls - and we talked about anything. I really like them and I was happy to meet some genuinely nice people. It's just a big change for me to be around girls who are not ripping you apart or throwing themselves at every guy who walks in the room. I think I've just had a lot of bad experiences which had more to do with holding on to friends who changed radically the moment they were free from their parents' supervision.

This entry is far too long as it is. Paul & I are going to the supermarket because he needs food, which in turn means that I need to shower.

-Monique

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home